Monday, December 14, 2015

Meeting Her New Mom

I wonder if I am the only blogger to ever hit a, let's say, blogger's block numerous times within the year. Or I wonder if it's just the fabulous world of fostering stunting my words. Either way, our 5th Angel "Charlie Brown" has left our home after 5 months and I felt it best to open the laptop and try again to catch up on my story telling.

"Lucy" had such a complicated story to tell with so much I can't share. It's an experience not many in my own circle of Foster Moms could call their own. I can say that as you will soon read, the story took an amazingly positive turn towards Forever Fabulousness!

In true My Family style, please rewind to May of 2015...
We meet on Monday, “Lucy” goes home for a full day visit on Thursday and Goodbye Day will come Friday.  That’s how it was all going to happen. What a whirlwind it was. But I know now that she is where she should be.  About 2 weeks prior to meeting her new Foster Mom I rcvd the call that they found a family for “Lucy”. I couldn’t believe how fast it happened. I was told at least a few months.  The Adoptions worker had called me and asked every question possible about the baby so they could give a great description to the possible families.  I was really good about giving all the details necessary so the family can make a good decision about whether they can take “Lucy” and keep her for possibly the rest of her life. I don’t want her to move anymore.  At this point, I still feel a little bad about not being a concurrent family.  But bottom line, the county and I really didn’t think it probable that “Lucy” would be reunified with her biological family.  This move was better for “Lucy” while she is 7 months young and not as attached to me as she could be a few more months down the road.

I was a nervous wreck going to the office that Monday even though we had talked on the phone numerous times during the 2 week wait.  The new Mom we will call “Ethel”, was so pleasant to talk to. She is in the medical field which was good to know with the few medical issues “Lucy” had. “Ethel” asked all the right questions and was giddy with excitement. Made total sense because “Lucy” would be her first child. I made sure to be available for her to call me whenever she had a question regarding “Lucy’s” care. I wanted to make sure the transition to her new home would be as easy as possible on her. The girl has been through enough in her short little life.
Meeting “Ethel” was uneventful as I knew it would be. Of course my anxiety takes hold of my senses faster than I can take a deep breath.  She wasn’t overly grabby and waited patiently for me to take “Lucy” out of the carrier. I think I would have been a little more crazy excited. A few moments into the visit it was time for a bottle and “Ethel” didn’t hesitate and took over like a natural. That’s when I took my deep breath. She handled everything like a pro. No bobbling or unsureness in her face. She was ready for this. “Lucy” seemed ready. While walking to the car I thought I might be ready too.

No comments: