Thursday, December 17, 2015

Goodbye Day for "Lucy"

Friday morning came and I was running around the house as usual trying to gather the rest of “Lucy’s” things. I made sure to look in every crevice of our couch, under her crib, under her set in the car for each and every pacifier she could have dropped. It calmed her down when she would get in those panic modes. We tried to limit those to as few as possible.  I gave “Ethel” 2 bags of toys and belongings the day before when she had her for the whole day.  Abby told me the morning of that she was not going to say her goodbyes to “Lucy”, she wanted to go with me to drop her off. Sure! No problem! Well, I got a phone call from “Ethel” letting me know that she would be ready earlier than we had planned if I wanted to do the drop off then. Sure! No problem! Let’s get this pain train rolling! Got everything in the car and started down the road. I stopped at the stoplight which just happens to be at the intersection towards Abby's school. I looked right, saw the school and about jumped out the window! Luckily, no one was next to me, giving me the opportunity to make a right hand turn from the center lane. I grabbed Abby early from school. She would be devastated and I would feel so guilty if she missed her goodbye! (Phew! That was so frickin’ close!)

Abby and I took “Lucy” to the county office 15 minutes away. We met her new Momma in the garage. I handed her the bags and one box of clothes. I gave her the paperwork I had kept. The dr’s notes and recommendations for future drs notes. Abby took “Lucy” out of the car and held her for a moment. She looked at “Lucy” and told her how much she loved her and how much she was going to miss her. (Kleenex)  “Lucy” grabbed Abby’s face with her two tiny hands, looked at her and babbled her sweet babble, then quietly laid her head on Abby’s shoulder. This sweet 7 month old will forever have a piece of our hearts.  After my squeezes and kisses and promises to love her forever, I handed her over. “Ethel” gave me the biggest hug and thanked me for taking care of “Lucy”. She said we will be seeing each other soon and that I can call to check in or visit whenever I wanted. 

Today we have seen our “Lucy” a handful of times. She is growing by leaps and bounds. Two of her first words were Happy & Ocean! (Her Momma takes her to the beach all the time!) Really, what more could I ask for? “Lucy” is growing up with an amazing family, a super Mom and LOVE all around her! And we are blessed to be able to watch her bloom where God has planted her.

** “Lucy” and her Momma are waiting for their final adoption date. Her bio parents tried throwing some road blocks but in the end couldn’t get their lives in order to put their baby first. Thankfully the foster part of “Lucy’s” story will be a short one. **

No comments: